Kuwait Press Memory Latest news
alraiSports

Barcelona, Spain's champions, sign Rodri for four years

Barcelona, Spain's champions, sign Rodri for four years

Barcelona officially announced on Tuesday the signing of Spain national team captain Rodri, winner of the World Cup with “La Roja” and recipient of the 2024 Ballon d’Or, on a four-year contract.

In a statement, the Catalan club said, “Manchester City (English) and Barcelona have reached an agreement regarding the transfer of Rodrigo Hernández, known as ‘Rodri.’ The Madrid-born footballer has signed with Blaugrana until June 30, 2030.”

The Catalan club, champion of Spain in the last two seasons, did not disclose the value of the deal, which Manchester City estimated at 76.5 million euros (103 million dollars), including bonuses, according to an official source at the English club to AFP.

The Spain national team captain, who was named the best player at the upcoming 2026 World Cup, was close to joining Real Madrid just days earlier, but a phone call with Barcelona coach Hansi Flick reportedly convinced him to join the Catalan club.

Rodri had previously confirmed the day before his arrival at Barcelona that he was fulfilling a “dream” by joining the Catalan club, which has never hidden its admiration for his team-oriented style of play, despite his upbringing in Madrid.

After seven seasons in England, the defensive midfielder, who previously played for Atlético Madrid and Villarreal, leaves Manchester City, where he became one of the world’s best players under manager Pep Guardiola, culminating in winning the 2024 Ballon d’Or.

For his part, the player said in the club’s statement, “I am leaving the club with great pride for what we have achieved, and also with gratitude for many wonderful memories,” adding, “What we have accomplished together over these years has been truly special and unforgettable.”

Rodri won almost everything with the “Citizens,” including the 2023 UEFA Champions League and four English Premier League titles.

He had returned to the highest level this summer during the World Cup in North America after a series of knee injuries, but underwent a “minor back surgery” in late July, raising doubts about his physical readiness as the season began.

Latest news Original source
Link copied ✓