Kuwait Press Memory Latest news
annaharArab & International

Paralysis in the Strait of Hormuz.. Navigation completely halted

Washington, Agencies: Data revealed that shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz slowed down following attacks on oil tankers, as talks between the United States and Iran aimed at resolving the Middle East conflict stalled. Data from Kpler, a ship-tracking firm, showed that five bulk cargo ships crossed the strait on Saturday, with no vessels recorded crossing on Sunday, compared to 31 ships at the beginning of last week. Kpler’s data indicated that ships entering the strait on Saturday included a large empty crude oil tanker with its Automatic Identification System (AIS) turned off, and a large gas carrier flying the Indian flag that used the Iranian route. The data also showed the departure of a small tanker carrying Iranian fuel oil. Maritime shipping appeared to have almost halted after the United Arab Emirates announced that three vessels operated by Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) were attacked while crossing the strait last week. Meanwhile, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Ismail Baghaei said yesterday that talks between Iran and Oman regarding the Strait of Hormuz are complex but continuing “with full seriousness.” Baghaei pointed to several “parties trying to exert influence on this process” as a reason for the delay in announcing an agreement, despite recent optimism about the possibility of reaching a deal ensuring passage through this vital waterway. The semi-official Tasnim News Agency quoted Baghaei as saying that Iran and Oman “have so far demonstrated their determination to formulate a mechanism that considers the interests and concerns of both sides, while simultaneously addressing international navigation considerations.” The agency noted that Baghaei stated an “access roadmap” had been agreed upon, but no final agreement including a joint statement had been finalized. Referring to one of the reasons for the delay, Baghaei said that some “parties with bad intentions” want the region to remain “perpetually in a state of conflict and chaos,” according to his claim. In response, the United States has insisted it may continue its naval blockade of Iran indefinitely. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said in an interview with local media on Saturday that Washington must meet Iran’s conditions regarding the strait for maritime shipping to resume. Five of the world’s crude oil and liquefied natural gas shipments previously passed through the strait before the war.

Latest news Original source
Link copied ✓