Kuwait Press Memory Latest news
annaharArab & International

Trump threatens to declare Hormuz an “American territory”

Washington, Agencies: US President Donald Trump revealed that he will soon declare the Strait of Hormuz part of US territory. Tehran responded yesterday, affirming that the vital energy transport waterway “will remain Iranian.” Trump had repeatedly asserted that the strait, which Tehran has effectively blocked since the outbreak of war in the Middle East in late February, is now under US control—a claim denied by the Islamic Republic.

Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi stated on the X platform, “The Strait of Hormuz was, is, and will remain Iranian.” He added that this waterway “will not be closed or opened except by Iran’s order.” Trump had said during a political rally at a police academy in New York on Friday that “after we defeat Iran... I will very soon declare the Strait of Hormuz American land. This is true.” However, the Wall Street Journal quoted an unnamed White House official as saying Trump was joking.

Before the war, about one-fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas exports passed through the Strait of Hormuz. Since the dispute over the waterway began, prices have risen repeatedly, increasing economic and political pressure on Washington. Iran is seeking to control the strait and impose fees for its passage, powers it did not exercise before the war and which the United States strongly opposes.

Meanwhile, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said yesterday that Tehran has not yet decided to resume negotiations with the United States. He emphasized that ongoing talks with the Sultanate of Oman are entirely separate and focus on a technical track concerning the determination of new maritime routes for ship passage in the Strait of Hormuz, according to the Iranian Students News Agency (ISNA).

In an interview published by the agency, Araghchi clarified that what was stated in the Islamabad memorandum was “ending the war,” not a ceasefire, adding that the United States had violated the memorandum, leading to the resumption of confrontations, as he claimed. He stated, “There was no such thing as a 60-day ceasefire that now needs extension.” He added that the 60-day period discussed was intended for negotiations aimed at reaching a final agreement, not as a ceasefire duration.

Regarding communications with Washington, Araghchi said that mediators, whether Qatar or Pakistan, are exchanging messages and continuing to communicate with Tehran, but he stressed that this “does not in any way mean there are negotiations,” affirming that “no decision has yet been made regarding the resumption of negotiations with the United States.”

Concerning the Sultanate of Oman, the Iranian Foreign Minister said, “Our talks with Muscat are ongoing, but they are a completely separate matter, involving a technical and technical discussion regarding the determination of maritime routes in the Strait of Hormuz for ship passage.” He explained that previously used maritime routes “are no longer viable now,” necessitating the determination of a new route, noting that work is currently underway to design a temporary route, which will later be converted into a permanent route.

Latest news Original source
Link copied ✓