North Korean Leader's Sister Says She Is Unaware of Communication Between Kim and Trump

Kim Yo-jong, the sister of the North Korean leader, said on Wednesday that she was unaware of any communication between Kim Jong Un and US President Donald Trump, despite the latter’s recent hints to that effect.
Kim Yo-jong’s stance came hours after Washington and Seoul announced they were ending their annual joint military exercises ahead of their scheduled date by about a week, following an order from Trump to scale them down.
Trump had stated on Sunday that he had asked the Pentagon to reduce the size of the annual “Ulchi Freedom Shield” exercises, one day before they were set to begin, citing his “good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
When asked on Monday whether Kim had responded to his request for a conversation, Trump said, “Yes, he did.”
However, Kim’s sister, Kim Yo-jong, said on Wednesday that she had no knowledge of any such communication between her brother and Trump.
Kim Yo-jong, who wields considerable influence in Pyongyang, said, “Regarding the recent information released from Washington about communication between the leaders of North Korea and the United States, I have no knowledge of it whatsoever.”
She added, “This may be the only foreign policy matter concerning our highest authorities of which I am not aware.”
Nevertheless, Kim Yo-jong noted that her brother still holds “good memories and feelings” toward Trump, and that the relationship between the two men remains “excellent.”
Earlier on Wednesday, the South Korean military announced that the exercises would conclude on Friday, rather than on August 27 as originally planned.
The Joint Chiefs of Staff of South Korea said in a statement, “We have decided to modify the exercise period to take place between August 17 and 21.”
It added that the decision was made “based on a proposal from the US side.”
The Pentagon stated that the “significantly scaled-down” exercises would maintain the “core objectives related to readiness and training.”
US military command said, “There will be no reduction in US training objectives.”
These exercises were designed to prepare for the possibility of an attack by North Korea.
It was understood that the exercises consisted of two phases: the first, focused on defending against potential North Korean threats, was scheduled to last until Friday; the second, focused on counterattacks, was scheduled for August 24–27.
It now appears that the second phase has been canceled. However, Kim Yo-jong downplayed this reduction, saying, “We do not see it as worthy of comment, nor do we find anything in it that attracts our interest.”
She added that reducing the size or duration of the exercises does not change their “provocative and aggressive” nature.
North Korea, which possesses nuclear weapons, has long expressed strong displeasure over these exercises, viewing them as preparatory drills for a potential invasion.
A comment published early Wednesday morning by the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), the state-run news service, stated that these exercises constitute “the most direct and blatant threats” to North Korea as well as to “regional security.”
That comment did not address Trump’s decision or his desire to resume talks with Kim, whom the US president had hinted was in contact with him.