Scottish FA withdraws confidence in Infantino; FIFA dismisses executive who criticized Infantino
&cropxunits=450&cropyunits=253&w=770)
Kevin Lamour, the Chief Operating Officer of the International Federation of Association Football (FIFA), has been dismissed. Lamour was the first to publicly break ranks and criticize FIFA President Gianni Infantino over his plan to sell a stake worth £20 billion linked to the World Cup. A FIFA spokesperson stated only that the “working relationship” with Lamour had “ended.”
Lamour issued his explosive statement on July 31, following The Times’ revelation of details regarding the “FIFA Forward Enterprise” project, which was subsequently canceled. Lamour claimed that staff had been “deceived” by Infantino, accusing the FIFA president of lacking transparency in his efforts to raise additional capital through private investment.
Lamour, who previously worked with Infantino at UEFA, said, “It is a one-man project.” He added, “Not only should this project not proceed, but it is now time for football’s political leaders to ask themselves the right questions and make the right decisions.”
Lamour had anticipated personal consequences for his statement, saying, “If that means I lose my job, so be it. I will understand that decision and respect it. At least I will sleep peacefully tonight.”
A FIFA spokesperson confirmed: “We can confirm that the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour, in his capacity as Chief Operating Officer of FIFA, ended on August 17, 2026.” The statement added, “FIFA thanks Kevin for two years of service and wishes him all the best in the future. No further comment will be made on this matter.”
FIFA staff were informed of Lamour’s departure via an email from FIFA Secretary General Matthias Stampfli. In a separate email seen by The Times, Stampfli also wrote to FIFA vice presidents and members of the FIFA Council: “Following recent discussions, FIFA and our Chief Operating Officer, Kevin Lamour, have agreed to part ways. This decision was made after careful consideration, with great respect for Kevin, both personally and professionally.”
Lamour’s departure follows that of Carlos Cordeiro, a senior advisor to Infantino, who resigned in July over the same issue. The Times noted that Lamour was the third-highest-ranking official within FIFA.
Meanwhile, the Scottish Football Association (SFA) has withdrawn its support for FIFA President Gianni Infantino, who is facing mounting pressure after his failed attempt to introduce private investment into the competition, particularly the World Cup. Several European associations had previously withdrawn their support for Infantino, including those of England, Ireland, and Wales.
The Scottish FA became the latest body to formally withdraw its backing of the Italian-Swiss official, who hopes to overcome this crisis as he seeks re-election at the FIFA Congress next year.
SFA Chief Executive Ian Maxwell said, “The Scottish Football Association will not vote for Gianni Infantino. This aligns with the position of UEFA, and we have maintained this stance throughout this period.”
Infantino faces intense pressure after three continental confederations accused him of “deception” regarding his plan to bring private investors into the World Cup, in an open letter published last week.
Mike Mulryan, currently the SFA President, serves as chairman of FIFA’s Finance Committee. Maxwell added, “When you are an administrator in football, you should not be in front of the cameras to the extent we have witnessed,” referring to Infantino. He continued, “It is clear there has been a failure in governance, a lack of transparency, and insufficient communication with member associations, and this is something we need to address.”